Contributors

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Keturah and Lord Death

Keturah and Lord Death
By Martine Leavitt; Front Street


Summary: Keturah follows a legendary Hart into the forest, where she becomes hopelessly lost. After three days,  her strength diminishes until, she feels that Death has come for her.  Little does she know that he is a young handsome lord, who is melancholy, and stern. Renowned for her storytelling, Keturah is able to charm Lord Death with a story. Lord Death grants her one more day to live. Keturah must find her one true love within that time, or all is lost. She searches desperately while the village prepares for an unexpected visit from the king, and Keturah is thrust into a prominent role as mysterious happenings alarm everyone in the village. Lord Death's presence hovers over all until Keturah confronts him for one last time. 




My Review: I have read this book multiple time and it still gets to me every time I read it. I absolutely love this book with so much passion its insane. It is on my top five favorite books of all time. I first read this during my sophomore year in high school and I knew right away that I would have to buy this book and read it multiple times throughout my life. I will try my best to describe why I love this book so much.


First of all, the writing in this book is fabulous. The language and style of this book is like an old fairytale and it makes it appealing to readers. Keturah and Lord Death  is a beautiful told tale about finding your true love and a journey of self discovery. When reading this you will ask the questions "What is death?" and "What is love?"  Death and love are two experiences that intertwine and form a deep bond in this book. You come to grasp this two terms firmly and figure out your own meanings for each term.  


Keturah is a profound character and she will always hold a place in my heart. The journey she takes to finds her true love is remarkable. With the help of her friends and a magic eyeball, Keturah goes through the village searching for her true love. If the eyeball holds still it is her true love.  The trials she faces when on that journey shapes her into a woman, instead of the girl she once was.  Because of her encounter with Lord Death the villagers begin to reject and avoid her. Keturah is unlike any other girl because she actually knows death and death has been with her all her life. Through her experiences with Lord Death she comes to see the world with different eyes.


As Keturah says in the book, this books is full of "magic and love, of daring and death, one to comfort your heart."  It a short book and you can finish it in one night if you get addicted. ;)
You should really consider reading it!


Things to Watch Out For: Lord Death, the plague,  and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't use anything crude, rude, or insulting.