Contributors

Friday, December 10, 2010

Sleeping Beauty


Sleeping Beauty
By Charles Perrault; 1697

Summary:  A beautiful princess is born and is bestowed upon with gifts from fairies. A wicked fairy gives places the princess under an enchantment, saying that, when the princess is older she will prick her finger on a spindle and die. A good fairy, says that the princess will sleep for a hundred years and be awakened by true love’s first kiss, instead of dying. A hundred years passes and a prince discovers the sleeping beauty.

My  Review: I love the story of Sleeping Beauty. It is one of my absolute favorites. I love the whole true love’s first kiss and all that gushy love stuff. I am a big fan of the Disney Version of Sleeping Beauty. It was really interesting to read the original version. Instead of three fairies there are a total of seven, and so on. I really enjoyed it !

Watch Out For: Death, enchantments


Moral:
Many a girl has waited long,
For a husband brave or strong;
But I’m sure I never met
Any sort of woman yet
who could wait a hundred years,
Free from fretting, free from fears.
Now, our story seems to show
That a century or so,
Late or early, matters not;
True love comes by fairy-lot.
Some old folk will even say
It grows better by delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't use anything crude, rude, or insulting.