Contributors

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Throne of Fire

The Throne of Fire
Rick Riordan; Disney Hyperion Books 2011

Summary: Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command, but the devious gods haven't given them much time to master their skills at Brooklyn House, which has become a training ground for young magicians. 

And now their most threatening enemy yet - the chaos snake Apophis - is rising. If they don't prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will come to an end. In other words, it's a typical week for the Kane family. 

To have any chance of battling the Forces of Chaos, the Kanes must revive the sun god Ra. But that would be a feat more powerful than any magician has ever accomplished. 

First they have to search the world for the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant its spells. Oh, and did we mention that no one knows where Ra is exactly? 

Narrated in two different wisecracking voices, featuring a large cast of new and unforgettable characters, and with adventures spanning the globe, this second installment in the Kane Chronicles is nothing short of a thrill ride

My Review: I am loving  the Kane Chronicles!  First The Red Pyramid  and now The Throne of Fire! Don’t get me wrong the Percy Jackson Series is great, but I love everything about the Kane Chronicles a lot more. Rick Riordan has this way of capturing reader’s attentions with his exciting stories, dialogues, and his hysterical characters.  I mean the whole idea of having gods from Ancient times in the modern world is genius!

His characters Sadie and Carter are my favorite siblings in literature so far because of their bickering and one upping each other. Deep down you can tell that they truly love each other, but usually cover up their feelings with their sarcastic comments. Sadie and Carter narrate the book as a recording. While you are reading the book you will see brackets in the middle of the story where Sadie or Carter says something to the other. It seriously cracks me up the way they go off on each other.

One thing I like about this book is that you are introduced to Egyptian terminology and a list of different Egyption Gods. In the back of the book is a glossary of the magical commands that Sadie and Carter use, other Egyptian terms,  and a section about the Gods and Goddesses mentioned in the book. I loved reading through these and truly getting into the book.

Overall the book was a fabulous book and I really enjoyed it. I finished it in two days. It kept me laughing and I honestly can’t wait for the next book!

Things to Watch Out for:  Magic, gods, Demons,  scary creatures, curses, fighting, and a brief kiss scene.

Reading Suggestions:


The Percy Jackson Series 


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful review :) I've been wanting to read this book but I have a too many unread books here at the moment, my SO thinks that I have books everywhere LOL

    Lovely blog you got here, I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. I am a new follower. I would love a visit to my blog. The only advice I can give you is joining the group was a great step to putting your blog "out there." Just visit other blogs and follow and invite them over to your blog when you leave a message. Put the title that you are reviewing and if you have a current give away. Good luck! Donna
    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm divided between Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus and The Kane Chronicles myself. I definitely really enjoyed the book as well, but I don't think I could pick a favorite among Riodan's series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Channing,

    I'm enjoying your blog too. You review the kind of books I like (and write). I'd love to send you a message about my own novel, coming out soon (it will be my 5th in print but my first fantasy epic). Drop me a msg at dmloveletters at yahoo if you're interested, okay? Sorry if you've got a contact link on site somewhere... I can't find it!

    Cheers,

    Dave Maine
    http://davidmaine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many good books...so little time!
    My son loves this series too, and I'm trying to get to them.
    S.B. Niccum
    Author Website
    Blog

    ReplyDelete

Don't use anything crude, rude, or insulting.