Contributors

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Oh.My.Gods.


Oh. My.Gods. 
By Tera Lynn Childs; Speak 2008


Summary:When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That's right, they're real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes: supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they're on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods.

My Review: Oh. My. Gods. And interesting take on modern day Greek Mythology. Dealing with the facts that the Greek Gods have descendants who develop powers. I am always up for a good modern day Greek mythology novel. I loved the Percy Jackson Series  and I actually enjoyed this one. 


The thing that bothered me the most was that there wasn't  much fantasy.  The kids all seemed pretty normal and acted like teens. Occasionally there would be a zap of powers, but nothing quite as drastic as Percy Jackson stuff (fighting evil, etc...). 


I thought Phoebe to be a determine little thing and a well rounded character. She would push herself to the limit in running. I really envied her for her running abilities and awesome Nike gear. I felt really sorry for her at the beginning because she had to leave America, her friends, and school to go live with a new step father, on an island, and go to a school full of Gods. So I imagine it was a little rough for her. But then  cross country, Griffen, and other friends make a difference. 


I would say it is an ok book. Not bad, but not great. If you like Greek Mythology and just a regular ole YA novel then this is ideal for you.

Watch Out For: Supernatural powers, some kissing, mild profanity, and Greek Mythology.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't use anything crude, rude, or insulting.