Contributors

Saturday, December 1, 2012

InkHeart


Inkheart
Cornelia Funke; Scholastic  2003

Summary: Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service. 

Characters from books literally leap off the page in this engrossing fantasy. Meggie has had her father to herself since her mother went away when she was young. Mo taught her to read when she was five, and the two share a mutual love of books. He can "read" characters out of books. When she was three, he read aloud from a book called Inkheart and released characters into the real world. At the same time, Meggie's mother disappeared into the story. This "story within a story" will delight not just fantasy fans, but all readers who like an exciting plot with larger-than-life characters.

My Review:  I love the Inkheart series! There I said it. Have any of you ever wanted to journey into your favorite book? Well I have. Can you imagine being able to read the words and just like that a character or object comes out from the book? O I just love it!

 Mo is such a great Dad and cares so much for his daughter Meggie. I swear I want his job. He gets to be with books all day and gets to fix them up and put them into great shape. Meggie is a lover of books and has good taste. She is also a skilled writer. And then there is Dustfinger who I have a crush on. Even though at times he is cowardly he still has a heart of gold. 

 In this book at the beginning of the chapters there are quotes from different  children's books that really add to the overall appeal of this book. I love it when authors do this because he leads you into the chapter and then you figure out why they chose that quote.

I honestly fell more deeply in love with books after reading Inkheart. The literary references make this book worth reading. This is also a great book to read-aloud with children.  I give it two thumbs up!

Watch Out For: Fantasy, threatening, kidnappings, and weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't use anything crude, rude, or insulting.