Contributors

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed
By Emily Giffin; St. Martin’s Griffin 2004

Summary: Meet Rachel White, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan.  Rachel has always been the consummate good girl - until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend Darcy throws her a party.  That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancé.  Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from.  In her wildest dreams (or worst nightmare?) this is the last thing on earth Rachel could ever have imagined happening.  As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice.  In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness.

My Review:  This book really glamorized and justified betrayal, lies, and cheating.  I am not all that approving of it because, to me, it is just trashy and not acceptable. 

This is all based on my opinion so please don’t take it for fact. Don’t get me wrong there are some funny parts in the book, but overall I was pretty uncomfortable. I didn’t like how this book made me sway into thinking that cheating was ok. I started siding with Rachel saying it was ok to cheat on your best friend’s fiancé, when in reality it is not! I was like AAACK! I know stuff like this happens all the time, but that doesn’t make it ok. 

I did like the character Rachel. I felt bad for her because she doesn’t assert her feelings and gets push around a lot, but throughout the book I saw her change and become more comfortable with herself.  This is an adult book and I would recommend it to those who are mature enough to handle it.

Watch Out for:  A lot of language, sex, kissing, and drinking


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't use anything crude, rude, or insulting.